I was so excited when Denise, Tera and Kristen contacted me about reviewing their new book No-Glamour Vowels! This book can be found at LinguiSystems. These SLPs saw a need for materials that targeted vowels and so they put their heads together and created this awesome book! You know that whenever a product is created out of necessity, it is going to be great and beneficial to many therapists!
The breakdown of the book:
This book was created to teach vowel placement and production. It is recommended for ages 4 through 12. It includes:
· activity ideas (Yay! I feel like I am always doing the same activities with my kids. So thankful for some fresh ideas!)
· A CD-ROM (If you are like me, this is ALWAYS important because the school copier will be broke every time you run down there to make a copy and therefore forcing you to print it from the printer in your room and using all your ink… good thing ink grows on trees ;)
· reproducible worksheets in words, phrases and sentences for
o long A
o short A
o long E
o short E
o long I
o short I
o long O
o short O
o long U
o short U
o hooked U
· Vowel placement chart (Good reminder.)
· techniques for vowel therapy
Why did I like it?
Because just like the authors of this book I was very short on materials to target vowels. Not to mention I am always on the look out for apraxia materials too! And the worksheets were very easy to incorporate into therapy! I also shared it with one of my special ed teachers as she was reviewing the long A with one of her students.
In summary, if you are looking for a new way to target vowels this would be a great tool to use! You can purchase it from the LinguiSystems website for $43.95.