Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tangled Tuseday



I was very excited when Amy from Major Speech Pathology Fun bya Minor Girl contacted me about doing Tangled Tuesday! I think this is a fabulous idea where we as SLPs can showcase ideas and products created by other SLPs. I am always amazed and inspired by the creativity and dedication of my peers!

I have been using Popcorn Category and Definition Activity in my speech room for a few weeks. I loved that this is the activity Amy sent me because one of my rooms is decorated in the popcorn theme! So it fit perfectly!

I have used this activity with my kindergarteners and 1st graders. They really seem to enjoy it and keep asking when I am going to bring them real popcorn! Ha! Guess I should get on that!

I have used this several ways. When I first introduced it to my students, we just used the popcorn category buckets and cards. Some of my students really need a concept broken down before they can follow multiple steps in a game. 

 

Once they caught on to identifying the category, then I incorporated giving definitions. Then next time we played I gave them the popcorn stash placemat to use. They acted like it was a totally new game then! I just LOVE when there is an activity they you can use multiple times!


I have a fluency student in one of my language groups (oh scheduling… you know how that goes) and I had him pull a card and use his fluency tools and make up a sentence. It worked great in the game! More bonus points for being able to use this activity in multiple ways!

I was so pleased with this activity and my kids were happy that I had a new way to present categories and vocabulary to them. (They had begun whining when I pulled out my trusty flashcards!) My one tip is to print a few pages of the popcorn pieces! My kids went through those fast!

This product includes 59 picture cards, 6 lose your turn cards, 6 go again cards, 2 student popcorn boxes, placemat, 4 category boxes, and 30 popcorn pieces.

This cute printable is only $5.00 on TpT. Stop by Amy’s store and get it here! Also, be sure to “Like” her on Facebook and stop by her blog to see what she thought about my ‘Answer Me, Maybe’ WH question activity!



No comments: